June 04, 2008

Quote of the Day

I just tucked the boys in bed. Before leaving the room, Carter said, "Wait, mom. I need to give you a hug and a kiss." Of course I'm not going to pass on that! I walked to the side of his bed and leaned down to receive the greatest of all mom rewards--a four year old's hug and kiss. The light was off so the kiss landed somewhere between my nose and lips. Here's the rest of our sweet conversation.

C: I love you.
Me: You do?! Why?
C: Because you are cute.
Me: (Intrigued) Why do you think I'm cute?
C: (while tracing his own face with his two index fingers, one started at the forehead and went to his chin, the other from his chin to his forehead making a circle) Because your face is cute.

As I chatted with a friend today, I got emotional as we both reflected on the sensitive nature of our children. Most of the time, tonight included, I love that Carter is so sensitive and thoughtful. He loves to give hugs and snuggles and kisses. I treasure each of these gifts he gives me as I realize these days are fleeting. According to my MIL who has been a mom for 40 years, hearing your children say "I love you" never gets old no matter how old they are. I hope Carter still tells me he loves me in 36 years!

No comments: