March 19, 2008

The House Chronicles Part II

I have the brand of brain that won't shut off when something is worrying me. Today and everyday previous to today since January I've had one thing on my mind. Paint colors. They float around and around and around inside my head and I can't for the life of me stop them from circling and make them find a hiding place so I can rest. It's gotten so bad that paint colors are popping into my dreams, clearly unwelcomed. In my previous post I shared our chosen paint colors with you, and we were pretty certain of them and most have turned out okay, I mean fabulous. To be sure we didn't waste loads of money on the wrong colors, yesterday we purchased some samples of our colors and put them on the wall. Every paint color we picked is perfect except for one and that's the one that has me ignoring all of my other housewife duties today and instead, munching on Easter candy (yes, I am unfortunately an emotional eater!) and catching up on blogging. Maybe my time out will help calm my nerves. So here's what we've come up with--
  • LR/Kit: Beachwalk (a beautiful and dynamic yellow beige)
  • 2F Hall/2F Bath?: Castle Stone (3 steps above Beachwalk)
  • BR/3rd BR/1F Bath/Laundry: Expedition Khaki (1 step above Beachwalk--we obviously love this spectrum and this color is neutral enough until I find inspiration in towels/art etc.)
  • MBR/Bath: Cliff Rock (in between light and dark brown)
  • Trim/Window Sills/Door Moldings: Swiss Coffee

We've scratched Dill Pickle. After putting Dill Pickle and Mountain Forest samples on the family room walls I want to cry. I'm back to the drawing board for this room because wow--these colors are not as dark and muted as I imagined. They are bright and limey. So, I'm going to try something I should have tried before--I'm taking one or two of my pillows from my couch to Home Depot and hopefully the fabulous lady who mixed our paint yesterday will be back so I can get some other ideas.

We think we have all the little details done now so we can focus on paint--here's what else we've accomplished:

  • sanded the spackle patches, (there were lots and lots) window sills and upstairs moldings in prep for priming
  • primed all the patches and some of the window sills
  • caulked all of the windows and other cracks between counters and walls
  • selected our carpet for the 2nd floor (as soon as we finish painting the 2nd floor, we'll order it)
  • removed everything from the walls--electrical covers, towel racks, window coverings etc.

I promise we'll take pictures again soon, but right now there's no noticable difference through pictures. Be patient, they will come. This is long and tedious work.

1 comment:

Misty said...

Sounds like SO MUCH work! Wow. I can't even imagine doing that and being a mom/wife. Fun though too....we did a minimal amount of work (faucets, paint, trim, light fixtures etc) on our condo. I remember the sleepless nights and I even knew we'd be moving in a few months! I'm sure you will love it once it is all done. Good luck.