November 08, 2006

The Black Widow Scare


One of my top 5 phobias is spiders. It doesn't matter the size; it could be a harmless, tiny spider in the shower and I'll make Marc get out of bed to kill it before I hop in! Well, last week we all had a scare with a black widow.

Marc took Carter out to play after dark--when Marc gets home from school some nights, it's only 5:00 but it's dark! Carter's favorite outdoor toy is his little blue car--is anyone surprised? He doesn't usually ask for help, he doesn't need it ever, but this night he asked Marc to help him get the car ready to roll. When Marc looked in the car, there was a black widow hanging in his massive web directly underneath the steering wheel, where Carter's legs would have been had he not asked for help. I feel very certain that he was being watched over and protected when we couldn't know to do it ourselves! Marc spent the next twenty minutes using different methods to try to kill this spider when he was hanging in such an awkward place to get at while I held the flashlight, but to no avail, we lost him. It was probably my fault not holding the light close enough. I just didn't even want to look; I was freaking out! The rest of the night Carter was heard saying "Pider hurt, pider hurt" over and over and over and over again. We're lucky he didn't wake up with nightmares!

No comments: